This six-acre development consisted of three main construction sites – Thornton Place (constructed by Walsh Construction), Regal Cinemas at Thornton Place (constructed by S.D. Deacon Corporation), and Aljoya Thornton Place (constructed by WG Clark Construction). Thornton Place involved construction of two 6-story buildings housing 278 market-rate apartments and six 3-story buildings housing 109 condominiums, all constructed over a 950-stall garage, with 50,000 square feet of retail space at the ground level. Regal Cinemas at Thornton Place included construction of a 14-screen cinema. Aljoya Thornton Place involved construction of a 243,948-square-foot retirement facility, under a separate owner. Most of the buildings in this mixed-use development were primarily wood framed over concrete. The estimated construction cost is $164.5 million.
ORA was engaged as the special (structural) inspection and geotechnical firm of record for this project.
Geotechnical aspects of this project include the excavation of approximately 200,000 cubic yards of soil to depths of up to 35 feet below the existing site grade, and the installation of soldier pile and lagging shoring with up to two rows of tieback anchors. ORA’s geotechnical consultations for this project included providing recommendations for geotechnical issues as they occur, including RFI’s and evaluating possible foundation system alternatives.
- Monitoring of the installation and performance of the shoring system
- Soil bearing verification
- Structural fill placement
- Soils compaction
- Cold-formed steel framing
- Curtain wall fabrication and erection
- Epoxy-grouted anchor bolt installation
- Mechanical anchor bolt installation
- Prestressed concrete
- Reinforced concrete
- Spray fire-resistive materials
- Steel joist erection
- Steel seismic resistance system
- Steel stair erection
- Structural steel embedded items in concrete
- Structural steel fabrication and erection